Marketers, take notice.
Video is such a big part of the web and it’s getting better.
Video is becoming increasingly important for online marketing. Back in May Facebook announced new video metrics for Page Insights and Ads Reporting. This week they followed up with some numbers. Between May and July their numbers increased by 50% and since June they’ve had more than 1,000,000,000 video views on Facebook each day” according to this Facebook statement. That’s right people, 1 billion videos a day. Billion….
Facebook isn’t the only place for video though.
Reasons to get in on video:
- 90% of consumers watch videos online, and those who watch videos while shopping online are “ nearly twice as likely to make a purchase than consumers who do not view video.” (Mediapost)
- “Those that view a video are 144% more likely to place that item in a shopping cart” (Forbes)
- “40% of YouTube’s traffic now comes from mobile” (Business Insider)
- Online video ad spending was 233.1 billion in 2013 as compared to 113.2 billion in 2012, or 65.9 billion in 2011 (Shutterstock in collaboration with comScore)
- “Emails with the word “video” in the subject line generate 18.5% higher open rates” (Mediapost)
- Mobile’s share of online video more than tripled between January 2012 and September 2013 (Business Insider)
- “Viewers start to abandon the video if the startup delay exceeds about 2 seconds” (S. Shunmuga Krishnan, Ramesh K. Sitaraman, University of Massachusetts, Amherst)
- Don’t forget the ONE BILLION a day Facebook video views
These numbers are astounding and should be more than sufficient to convince anyone that getting in on video and doing it right is crazy important. So what are you waiting for?
This post is part one of our video marketing series that focuses on showing how video is crucial for online marketing. Part two of our video marketing series will show you how to get started.